Finding Joy in Small Things
By Christelle Teta
For the longest time, I thought joy lived in abundance. I believed that happiness only came when you had more more money, more achievements, more friends, more attention, more of everything. In my mind, joy was something that showed up when life became “perfect” or when things finally aligned the way I wanted.
But as I journeyed through different seasons of life, I started to learn something different. Something deeper. Something more real.
I began to notice that the people who seemed the most joyful weren’t necessarily the ones who had the most. Some of them had very little by the world’s standards yet their laughter was pure, their peace unshakable, and their hearts overflowing with light. Meanwhile, there were others who had everything money could buy, yet carried emptiness in their eyes.
This made me pause and reflect on my own life. And then one day, it just hit me: Joy doesn’t depend on what I have or what I lack joy depends on how I see life and how grateful I choose to be.
It wasn’t in the big achievements or answered prayers that I started to feel deeply happy. It was in the small, everyday things that I had once taken for granted:
Waking up with peace in my heart.
A warm meal shared with a loved one.
A simple message from a friend.
The sound of birds in the morning.
The beauty of the sky after it rains.
Quiet moments with God when no one else is watching.
I started to realize that there is so much beauty hidden in the ordinary. And when you train your heart to see it, you’ll never run out of reasons to smile.
Joy is not about the excess. It’s about the essence.
It’s not about having everything it’s about seeing everything differently.
When I let go of the pressure to have more, I found freedom in being present. When I stopped chasing happiness in the future, I found it right where I was. And when I started practicing gratitude even for the little things I discovered joy that didn’t depend on external things, but flowed from within.
So now, I no longer wait for “someday” to be joyful. I choose joy today in the simple, the small, the unnoticed. I choose to live open-hearted, aware, and grateful.
Because that’s where real joy lives.
Comments
Post a Comment